Sunday, April 25, 2010

p. 629, Oranges Glacees




At last I have finished Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking! After considering a simple recipe to try myself, I caved and went for this one. At least it doesn't have the ton of cream and/or butter like all of Julia's other recipes.

Here are the photos to show how I slaved over it this afternoon:

Six large, colorful oranges ready to go!


Making candied orange peel.

This was the killer part - took so long!


Macerating the cooked orange peel in orange liqueur.


Making the sugar syrup.


Glazing the oranges with the hot syrup.


Ta-da!

It did look great, but it wasn't so delicious that I would go through all that again. The book goes back to the library, and I can sleep well tonight.

5 comments:

  1. I made the beouf bourguignon and it was so fabulous that I make it for all non-vegetarian guests! It takes ages but I like the process of cooking and don't like shortcuts. I have also made the sole meuniere which was stunning! It helps to live near the sea for fresh sole.

    I made candied peel once years ago and the boys have pestered me for it ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on successfully making that recipe Mom! I'm impressed! No desire to try any of the other recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe after I retire and can devote myself to a recipe without having to watch the clock!
    Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once made a simple lemon butter and it was a revelation. I didn't realize that you had to first reduce the lemon juice, the slowly mix in small pats of cold butter. Served over fish...man o man...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right. I think learning to cook from a book is like trying to play the violin by reading instructions. You really have to be shown to be able to do it correctly. I just saw a color photo of properly creamed butter and sugar for a cake batter. Wow - mine has never looked that light and fluffy! Never too late....
    Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?