Friday, April 9, 2010

Fooling Around with Wolfram Alpha

Today I ran across Wolfram Alpha, the computational knowledge website. I listened to Mr. Wolfram himself describe the site and what you can do with it. One of the simplest is to type in a first name. You get graphs of how many people in the U.S. were given that name over the last 100 years or so, and another graph of the present age of most of the people with that name. Here's the graph of when people were given my name - a big bump after WWII, then downhill all the way.



I'm going to go back to this again and again for all kinds of other stuff. Try it and see what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I found out I was born 14,139 days ago, and it was a Sunday.

    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! This could get addictive!
    --Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?