Sunday, April 11, 2010

Card Catalog Project

Some time ago, I became aware that library card catalogs were disappearing. When you did find one, you had to pay a pretty price, since people had begun to find interesting uses for them. Take a look at a blog post from PH: Poetic Home for some of the ideas.

So, in my library work, I came across a small one with no legs. I bought it and promptly relegated it to my basement laundry room where it languishes under forgotten sewing projects and stuff to wash/iron someday.


I could use a new coffee table, but what to do for legs? All of a sudden it occurred to me that I could use.......books. I'll just need to find some that look good and can be stacked to the same height, then cemented in place. Anyone have any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I miss card catalogs in libraries. I don't find "the screen" as friendly. I like things that can be used if the power goes out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to be the anti-nostalgia person, but i never LIKED card catalogs, and i'm sooooo glad it's so easy to research now with the computer screen. when i went to city college, i got all my books from the magnificent Brooklyn Library--and i could look them up and order them online from home. still, those old containers are cute.

    here's one person's idea:
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/look/look-card-catalog-coffee-table-067934

    i love the airiness of these "hairpin" legs. also, ikea and places like home depot have a lot of attachable legs. but go to your local junque store and snoop around. you'll find just what you want.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?