Sunday, November 22, 2009

Roasted Beets - Perfect!

Last night we had a pre-Thanksgiving family dinner. For this I sacrificed the last of my home-grown beets, and they were beautifully rosy and delicious at room temp with splashes of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and with rosemary and thyme strewn around.

I learned how to roast beets something like baked potatoes to avoid diluting their flavor in water and to concentrate the sugars. At first I would trim the beet greens to 2 inches, scrub the beets, dry them, and encase them individually in sealed foil packets. This worked very well. After the beets cooled, I could put on a pair of rubber gloves and just slip the beet skins off to reveal shiny smooth beets to use as dinner vegetables, slice into salads, etc. Later I felt guilty wasting so much foil, so I decided instead to rub them liberally with cooking oil, and put them in a covered casserole to bake. Even better - and greener, so to speak! Wish I had a picture, but you'll just have to imagine it.

4 comments:

  1. They were good Mom! Thanks for bringing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds EXCELLENT! I'll have to try... btw, while we were shopping at My Sister's Closet on Black Friday, I heard a couple of gals RAVING about the carrots & blueberry salad they've been eating, lately. I didn't have the lemon juice, so substituted lime and... not bad! I'll keep trying different things, but the basics -- carrots, b-berries, nuts, oil -- are a very good grouping! Like one person said, "It beats the worn out romaine thing, for a change." AND it's so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrots and blueberries. Must try this when blueberries are in season again. Thanks! Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?