Sunday, October 19, 2008

Family Relationships Formula

In the course of sending out invitations to local, but distant, relatives for a family birthday this month, I found myself trying to explain how some of us are related. "Second cousin, once removed," is usually beyond the comprehension of most of us.

Luckily, the reference librarian in me discovered a nifty website that explains it all. Try out What Is a First Cousin, Twice Removed? from Genealogy.com. They have a table that you can use to plug in yourself and the person to whom you are somehow related to see where you intersect with the exact degree of your kinship.

4 comments:

  1. Susan - I'm afraid I'm a bit dim and the formula on that link didn't help much. You and I know we are cousins. I guess that means that your children and my children are second cousins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. as usual, once someone explains all this to me, i'm even MORE CONFUSED. that's a neat chart, though. thanks! i love all the stuff you dig up in your capacity as a librarian!!

    m.e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. xtreme english: Thanks! Glad OUR relationship is easy to figure out.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?