Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Now I Can Heal


Since Halloween, I've been treating the skin on my face with Fluorouracil 5, a cream based on chemotherapy concoctions that exposes and destroys precancerous skin lesions caused by sun damage. It's a long and demoralizing process - scares kids, too - but the payoff is that it can treat all active and latent skin lesions in one shot.

After I saw the Website posted by a guy who went through the same thing nearly 10 years ago, I was encouraged to stay with it until my dermatologist finally said I was done last Tuesday.

The first photo shows me in the beginning when I only applied the cream at night 3 times a week for a month. After that, it was every night for two months. Ok, I got one week off right after Christmas, but that was all. I could cover most of the red spots with Bobbi Brown concealer, but after awhile, even that couldn't hide them all. People at work were understanding, but I got a lot of horrified looks from library patrons.



The last photo shows me last Tuesday with bare skin - right after I got the good news to stop the treatment. I'm a mess, but the scabs are starting to flake off already with new pink baby skin underneath. The doc said I lasted longer with the cream than any other woman he's treated. Let's hope my results (no skin cancer) last longer, too! Moral: use sunscreen.

6 comments:

  1. Well done my beautiful, brave cousin! I'm pleased those things are off your lovely face. Thanks for posting the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Mom! You know, just as noteworthy as the lesions are is that even with no makeup you look much younger than your real age. It's really apparent in your 'before' picture. Now that you're recovering from the treatments you can really enjoy the skin you're in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing as "anonymous". You have obviously been very good about taking care of your health AND your skin because it looks so good! Congrats for toughing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Tender at the Bone when I read it a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a pretty woman.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was recommended this website via my cousin. I am now not certain whether this put up is written by means of
    him as no one else know such special about my
    difficulty. You're amazing! Thanks!

    Here is my website flawless raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?