Friday, August 20, 2010

Cheapskates vs. Conservationists


The Cheapskate books I'm reading by Jeff Yeager (see sidebar) bring up the question, are cheapskates people who are simply misers who take no joy in life? Yeager says no, cheapskates are really people who are thoughtful users of only what they need to live a life freed of rampant consumerism. I'm trying to decide where I fit on the spectrum. Does using a teabag twice count?

His chapter on the costs of healthy living was really interesting. He says that most people who hire other people to clean their homes, mow their lawns, make repairs around the house, etc., then have to pay additional money to health clubs, personal trainers, and the like to help them keep in shape because they don't use their bodies to do any physical work. A vicious circle. I admit I've been tempted to hire a cleaning service when I think I can't handle a full-time job and keeping up with an old two-story house. So far, I'm subscribing to cheaphood, but I feel myself weakening.

1 comment:

  1. one of the best things i've ever done for myself was hire someone to clean my condo every other week. if you want to have help, get it! golly...even my mom had mrs. rento (not sure how that was spelled). she came and did the wash in the days before automatic washers and dryers. do most men change the oil in their cars or tune the carburetor? no. (i don't even know if cars HAVE carburetors any more, but you get the point).....:)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?