Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Lost Boys in Fargo


There's a new play at the Victory Gardens/Biograph Theatre (where John Dillinger was killed in the alley after seeing Manhattan Melodrama) called The Lost Boys of Sudan. As soon as I read that the play follows the war refugees to their new home in Fargo, N.D., where I was born, I knew we had to see it. We immediately signed up to be volunteer ushers for last night's performance.

There was plenty to think about as actors showed the horrific effects of the wars in Sudan on the civilians and on the child soldiers. But we also were looking to see what happened to them in Fargo - and were sadly disappointed. The refugees could have been in Anytown, USA. The actors were really good at African accents, but where was the Fargo accent, or any reference to Fargo "culture?"

Since I grew up in Moorhead - just across the river from Fargo - I can assume that I, too, have an authentic Fargo accent. Or, at least I did. I've been gone from Moorhead since 1964, and from Minnesota since 1969, but when I get on the phone with one of my sisters in the Twin Cities area, my family still says I start to "sound funny." I'm not sure I could even imitate someone from Fargo if I tried. What's an example of a word that Fargoans (Fargo-ites?) say that is unique to them? Readers, over to you...

6 comments:

  1. LOL My family say they can tell when I'm on the phone to somebody in the US (usually family) as I go VERY Midwestern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest yourself...it's FARGOANS. As for the word that defines your origin as Fargo, how about "ideal" as in "good ideal!!!" (a variation on "good idea!!") I know that's not an accent, per se, but that's what we said back there. In fact, I think it runs up the whole Red River Valley, because my dear friend Sarah, who was born in Grand Forks, said they used it as children, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here from Xtreme English. I couldn't do a Fargo accent, but I'd know one if I heard it. After all, I have seen the movie about 6 times. I like your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To 20th CW-- Glad you stopped in! You're right - we can recognize a Fargo accent, but we can't do it ourselves. Frances McDormand had a decent effort, but that's all. --Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can read the book, "What is the What" (non-fiction) to get even more of the Sudanese/Lost Boy true story/perspective. It's very heavy reading at times!

    Fargo-ese:
    PAA-laa = Paula
    TAAM = Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! That's right! --Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?