Sunday, October 11, 2009

How to Peel a Banana

I have always peeled bananas by pulling off the "handle" at the stem end. Imagine my surprise when I found out there's a better way! I was idly browsing through Xtreme English when I came across the odd link, Hilarious, on her 10/20/09 post. I don't know what Xtreme English found that was hilarious there, but I did find a YouTube of the correct way to peel a banana (monkey style). When I checked back there today, I couldn't find it again, but it's easy to find stuff on YouTube, luckily.

I happened to have some bananas at home and found out that this actually works very well - IF the bananas are not too soft. After that, the end doesn't squish so readily. I did a quick survey of the people at work the next day and found out that hardly anyone knows how to do it this way. Who knew? Thanks, Xtreme English and Belgian Waffle!

3 comments:

  1. perhaps what's hilarious is that the post is from "10/20/09," which happens to be week after next. i'm sure that what i meant was hilarious was just Belgian Waffle's blog in general, which IS very funny. your links go to that RCN website that tells readers a blog does not exist. my goodness. but back to bananas....
    i find opening a banana the monkey way opens this wonderful fruit at the dark side--that bitter, greyish little spike that, if you open it the boobus americanus way, detaches itself from the flesh and can be discarded with the peelings without your having to touch it with your bare fingers. which brings me to:

    my favorite banana story.

    one of my co-postulants at 1890 tells us that she and her numerous siblings had never eaten bananas in all their young lives until after WW2 ended, and their mother came home one day bearing a bag of groceries containing a bunch of bananas. she was highly excited about being able to find bananas on sale in minnesota at long last, and she pulled the bunch out and left it on the kitchen table for her children to admire while she went to the hallway to hang up her coat. While she was in the hall, the phone rang, and she answered it and chatted at some length. When she came back to the kitchen, there were no bananas on the table.
    "Where are the bananas?" she said.
    "We ate them," the children said.
    "But where are the peelings?"
    "Peelings?"
    "Well, yes, you have to peel them. You can't eat the peelings!"
    "We don't like bananas," they said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm! I'll have to try this! Thanks for the tip Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so much for editing my own stuff. try again...if you open a banana the monkey way, your first sight is that ugly, bitter little grey spike. but if you open it the way the rest of us boobus americanuses do, that icky little thing usually separates from the good part without your having to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?