Sunday, March 22, 2009

Scary Book Yields a Promising Cleaning Tip

The first chapter of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Cleaning (see side bar) is not for the squeamish. The exhaustive and exhausting list of toxic chemicals in our cosmetics, cleaning products, carpets, furniture, paints, etc. is truly frightening. Nevertheless, I came across a very simple, but possibly valuable tip for cleaning oven spills - like when you thought you could get away with filling a casserole dish up to the top, or not putting anything under a loaded fruit pie. The secret is to pour a lot of salt - yeah, salt - on the spill when it is still hot. You are supposed to be able to just wipe the spill away later when the oven cools with no problem. I'm now awaiting an opportunity to try this out, but have had no energy to cook anything recently that needs more than a stovetop or microwave. Tune in later.....

4 comments:

  1. Go on! Bake a pie! Your family will love you for it PLUS you'll have blogging fodder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I currently have spills in my oven that "keep on giving" every time I turn on the oven. I'll try the salt. If that doesn't work I may need to bring out the big guns...elbow grease and soap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happens in my oven alot. I hope the salt trick works. I read a green cleaning book too and do most cleaning now with vinegar and/or baking soda. - H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to type up my handwritten notes from the book and post here. Get ready.
    Maj. Reader

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?