Sunday, March 8, 2009

Living Green

Last weekend, a group of us from around the city who have been meeting and talking about race relations went to see the last (and sold out) performance of "Living Green" by Gloria Bond Clunie.

The play was at the refurbished Biograph Theater on Lincoln Avenue, now the home of the Victory Gardens Theater. The Biograph is known to everyone in my family as the place where John Dillinger was killed in a police shootout in the alley. Over the years, my husband saw many movies there as it was a neighborhood theater. By the time I came along, it was reduced to sticky floors and regular midnight showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now, it's really beautiful and a great venue for plays. Good seats everywhere!

I've read and seen many versions of the play, A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, so seeing the "sequel" was really interesting. Our house is in a very safe neighborhood, but I've often wondered if I was doing the right thing by choosing to live there. This play asks the question: where should you live to do the most good for yourself and everyone else? No easy answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?