Sunday, December 7, 2008

Historical Fiction on Film



I'm just about finished reading Time and Chance by Sharon Kay Penman, one of a trilogy she's written about Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitane, and Thomas Becket. Her writing got me to completely accept her version of the medieval way of life and thought, passion and intrigue. These people had such an amazing history that it's no wonder that they have inspired many authors, including Shakespeare.

I'm now ready to compare Penman's story with the two film versions of James Goldman's play, The Lion in Winter. The first from 1968 with Katharine Hepburn as Eleanor, and Peter O'Toole as Henry; the second from 2003 with the formidable Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart. Luckily, the two films were both popular and award-winning, so my library has both!

2 comments:

  1. Libraries ROCK! I love our local!

    I have been going to libraries ever since I was old enough to walk by myself. I used to check out the max number of books every time. I don't max out anymore (no time) but I still go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I keep hearing that libraries in the UK are poorly funded and in danger of collapse. Not true? At least the UK has them! Cindy tells me there is no such thing as a public library in Italy. How do they live with that???

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?