Sunday, November 23, 2008

Elder Brother



I'm the oldest in my family of 7 siblings, and I've read my share of "birth order" studies, but I never expected to learn something about my position in the family from a book called The Prodigal God (see side bar). The author quotes a line from Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor (one of my favorite writers), "...there was a deep, black wordless conviction in him that the way to avoid Jesus was to avoid sin."

The elder brother has an attitude toward parents/society/God that has him saying, in effect, "Since I am obedient and respectful, you owe me. I am my own savior." This conformist has allowed herself a certain superiority. Much to think about.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't connect all the dots yet...was the author was the first born in his family? And he related to the Flannery O'Connor quote? Also, how does that quote tie into the elder brother's attitude of entitlement? Who does he feels owes him - those he obeys or others? - H

    ReplyDelete
  2. You threw me with the elder brother title on this one! I thought there was a family secret that I was going to learn about! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. H-- Interesting that the first two comments on this post came from people who are also the oldest sibling in their families - ha ha!

    I don't know if the author was a first born. I think the elder brother feels that the father owes him - as much or more than the younger brother got - for the elder brother's constant obedience. I guess people with that sort of attitude feel that God/society owes them a good life for their conformity to the "rules."

    Maybe the O'Connor quote was used to show that some people think they can avoid any sort of close relationship with God if they simply obey all his rules. Just simple obedience out of fear, with no love involved.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?