Friday, August 10, 2012

Annie Dillard, kindred soul

I read and admired Pilgrim at Tinker Creek years ago, then promptly forgot about it. Decades later, Annie Dillard wrote in a similar vein, For the Time Being, her thoughts about the presence (or absence) of God in various small events and individual tragedies in the world.

These 2 quotes from the latter book struck something in me:

1) Suddenly there is a point where religion becomes laughable. Then you decide that you are nevertheless religious. - Thomas Merton, p. 77

2) As much as anyone, I imagine, I walk in the shadows of faith. - Teilhard de Chardin, p. 146

1 comment:

  1. I just checked out from our library North and South, as well as Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.

    You give the best reading suggestions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?