Monday, April 30, 2012

First Veggies from the Garden!


Spring is so early here this year. The lilacs are all bloomed out, and they are usually just in time for Mother's Day. The peonies will probably bloom before graduation time at the beginning of June, BUT, I planted cucumbers and tomatoes yesterday when I saw that the weather forecast for the first week of May included 70s and 80s. While I was doing that, I realized that some of the French breakfast radishes (do they really eat radishes for breakfast in France?) were ready! Great on our salad last night, and they're very mild, too - maybe that's why they have the "breakfast" label. Too bad I don't have a picture of the ones we ate, but here's a substitute.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, it'll be a long growing season this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the books we had in the house when I was growing up inspired radish eating. I can't remember if this was a book about cooking or gardening . . . but there was a beautiful photograph of a French child who was happily tucking into a big slice of buttered (French) bread with radish slices on it myself. It looked so yummy that I decided to try it. Since that time all those decades ago, I have been known when fresh-out-of-the-garden radishes are available, to slice them onto buttered bread and eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! That book was the Time-Life French Cooking cookbook (goddess knows wot the exact name was, but it came out in the 60s, and it DID have the part about slicing French radishes on a baguette (loaded with butter), and eating them with joy. We all did it. even without french radishes!! It's just a great lunch or breakfast or snack or hors d'oeurve (how do you spel that??).

      go for it! m.e.

      Delete
  3. These look great! I've heard that the French eat thinly sliced radishes on baguettes with butter. Maybe for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to try that for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shammy: YES!! do it! thin slices of baguette, lots of butter, radish slices....you can't do better than that! If you don't get it done there, when/if you come here to visit, I'll have some for you!!!

      Delete

What do you think?